||This engraving after a drawing by William Hodges is shown in John Hawkesworth's 1773 account of the voyages of Captain James Cook, Joseph Banks and Captain John Byron.
Otaheite was originally named Port Royal Harbour in King George the Third's Island by Captain Samuel Wallis (1728-1795). Wallis took command of the frigate Dolphin (back from John Byron's circumnavigation of the globe). Wallis' description of Tahiti (as published by John Hawkesworth in 1773 on behalf of the Admirality) helped, along with the accounts of James Cook and Joseph Banks, to stamp an exotic imprint on Europe's image of the south seas. Wallis' achievements helped shape Cook's first Endeavour voyage.
Otoo was the King of Otaheite. From the journals: 'O-Too was the tallest man whom we saw on the whole island which he governs, measuring six feet and three inches in height. His whole body was proportionately strtong and well-made, without and tendency to corpulence. His head, not withstanding a certain gloominess which seemed to express a fearful disposition, had a majestic and intelligent air, and there was great expression in his full black eyes. He wore strong whiskers, which with his bead, and a prodigious growth of curled hair, were all of a jetty black.' 26 August 1773
Mounted in album with PAI3938-PAI4028, PAI4030-PAI4076.; Page 78.