House flag, Kaye Son & Co.
|Description||The House flag of Kaye, Son & Co., London. A dark blue rectangular flag with a white diamond outline and a white initial 'K' in the centre. The flag is made of a wool and synthetic fibre bunting. It is machine sewn. The hoist and white appliqués are in cotton. A rope and toggle is attached. The company was founded in 1893 by Frederick Kaye. It traded from a London office as shipping agents and provided services in steamer management, coaling and insurance. It became a limited liability company in 1905. A subsidiary - Chasehill Steamship Co. Ltd, was formed as ship owners in 1912, but was wound up in 1915 as a result of wartime losses. Frederick’s son Sydney took over as Managing Director in 1918, with his father as chairman and the company opened a Liverpool office in 1918. The Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. and Furness Withy & Co. Ltd became major shareholders. The ‘K’ Steamship Co. Ltd was incorporated in 1919 and three steamers acquired. A further subsidiary ‘Kaye Steam Navigation Co. Ltd’ was formed in 1922 with further ships. Frederick Kaye died in 1924, his son becoming chairman. In 1926 the trading rights of R.P. Houston & Company in the UK/River Plate trade were acquired from Cayzer, Irvine & Co. Ltd and Bell’s Agency in Buenos Aires was taken over. The Liverpool office thereafter traded as R.P. Houston & Co. Ltd. The building of ships was financed by a partnership between Kaye, Son & Co. Ltd and the shipbuilders in the jointly owned Walmar Steamship Co. Ltd. In 1930 another new company, The Kaye Transport Co. Ltd was formed. In 1934 The Coolham Steamship Co. Ltd was set up, and in 1937, the Marconi Steamship Co. Ltd. The company ran a regular liner service between the UK and the River Plate and managed the Jamaican vessels of the Jamaica Direct Fruit Line Ltd. It maintained an interest in worldwide trade and general tramping. Sydney Kaye died in 1941. After the death of his son Marsden in 1952 there were no further family members in the management. The company entered tanker operation in 1961 through the newly formed Kaye Tanker Management Co. Ltd. In 1973 Kaye & Son was absorbed into the Furness, Withy Group. The Kaye connection ended with the sale of tanker ‘Kayeson’ in 1981.|
|Date made||circa 1951|
|Credit||National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, Pope Collection. We regret that Museum enquiries have not been able to identify the owner of the flag's emblem and would welcome any information that would help us update our records. Please contact the Picture Library.|
|Materials||cotton; machine sewn; synthetic blend; wool blend|
|Measurements||flag: 1168.4 x 1854.2 mm|
Do you know more about this?Share your knowledge