Silk plush cocked hat belonging to Staff Commander Walter W. Browne. The edges are bound with black silk ribbon with an oak leaf and acorn pattern. The cockade is of black grosgrain with two loops of boullion going over it – the inner loop is twisted, the outer loop is plain. A maker’s label of gilt stamped white paper has been cut-out and pasted over the original makers label which was gilt stamped directly onto the silk lining of the crown. The paper label features a crown over a garter with the following inscription: 'E.A. SEAGROVE/PORTSEA'. This pattern is part of the 1860-91 regulations.
In 1864 two new ranks were introduced, that of Staff Captain which replaced the rank of Master of the Fleet, and that of Staff Commander which replaced that of a Master of 15 years seniority. However, the rank of Master was still retained.