|Collection||Weapons, Edged weapons|
|Gallery location||Not on display|
|People||Provenance: Beauclerk, Lord Amelius|
Historical Association: King William IV
Provenance: Mostyn-Price, E.S.
Provenance: Bury, (Olga) Henry F.
Historical Association: Beauclerk, Aubrey
Historical Association: War Office
Maker: Webb & Son
|Description||'Mameluke' hilted sword, which belonged to Admiral Lord Amelius Beauclerk (1771-1846). The hilt of the sword consists of a gilt mounted 'mameluke' hilt, with a polished white ivory grip secured to the hilt with two gilt headed 'rose' rivets. The sword has straight; gilt quillons with capped ends, pointed langets, and in the centre of the quillons a crossed sword and baton encircled by a wreath of oak leaves. The flat-backed steel scimitar blade has no grooves. The obverse of the blade is engraved with floral decoration, on the shoulder, above, a crossed sword and baton motif between two sprays of oak leaves, and above these the Royal cipher. The reverse of the blade is engraved on the shoulder and above, with the same motifs as those that appear on the obverse of the blade, as well being engraved with the words 'Webb & Son. 48 Piccadilly. LONDON'. The brass scabbard is decorated with two brass bands and rings and a flat end. This is a War Office regulation pattern General Officer's sword, in accordance with the regulations promulgated on the 1st August 1834. If Admiral Lord Amelius Beauclerk ever wore the sword when he was in uniform it must have been in his capacity as a Deputy-Lieutenant for some county possibly Hants or in his capacity as High Sheriff. His epaulettes, silver with a gold rose in the centre, and cocked hat with a white cockade and button with a crown on it, support this idea. Admiral Lord Amelius Beauclerk died unmarried and the sword and accoutrements were inherited by his great-niece, Mrs E.S. Mostyn-Price of Gunlet, Montgomeryshire, whose third daughter Olga, Mrs Henry F. Bury, presented them to the National Maritime Museum. Admiral Lord Amelius Beauclerk was born the third son of the fifth Duke of St Albans in 1771. He entered the Royal Navy in June 1782 and was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on the 21st September 1790 and to the rank of Captain on the 16th September 1793. He was made a FRS in 1809, Colonel of Marines on the 31st July 1810, was promoted to Rear-Admiral on 1st August 1811; to Vice-Admiral on the 12th August 1819; he was Commander-in-Chief off Lisbon between 1824-1827 and promoted to Admiral in 22nd July 1830. He was promoted to GCH in 1831, to GCB in 1835. He was Commander-in-Chief, Plymouth between 1836-1839; First and Principal aide-de-camp to King William IV; he was Lord of the Manor of Winkfield, Hants and died there on the 10th December 1846.|
|Artist/Maker||Webb & Son
|Place made||48, Piccadilly, London, England|
|Credit||National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London|
|Materials||brass; ivory; steel; gilt|
|Measurements||Overall: 30 x 900 x 130 mm|
Do you know more about this?Share your knowledge