One sheet depicting part of a map of the moon. Printed 3rd edition, 1952 impression.
- NMMExhibitions's collections
- The maritime world of Asia
- Spices: trading for spices in Asia
- Textiles: supplying cloth to the world
- Tea: breaking into the tea trade
- The Company in crisis
- The Bombardment of Algiers, 1816
- Christmas collections
- Re·Think: Environment
- Map of the Moon by Hugh Percy Wilkins
Map of the Moon by Hugh Percy Wilkins
This rarely-seen map of the Moon was hand-drawn in 1952 by the engineer and amateur astronomer Hugh Percival Wilkins (1896–1960). Combining artistry with scientific precision, Wilkins’ detailed map reveals the rugged terrain of our celestial neighbour. Maps like these were used in the 1960s to select the landing sites for NASA’s Apollo missions.