The Transport Board was established in 1690 to hire and equip ships for the transportation of an army to Ireland. In 1717 it also assumed responsibility for the maintenance of sick and wounded seamen. The Board was abolished in 1724 but was reconstituted in 1794. In 1796 it took over from the Sick and Burt Board the work of caring for prisoners of war and in 1806, when the Sick and Hurt Board was abolished, it resumed responsibility for caring for sick and hurt seamen. The Transport Board was itself abolished in 1817 and its duties divided between the Navy and Victualling Boards. See M.E. Condon, 'The Establishment of the Transport Board -- a subdivision of the Admiralty -- 4 July 1794' in 'The Mariners Mirror' , 58, 1972, 69-84.
The records were transferred to the Museum in 1938 by arrangement with the Admiralty. They consist of seventeen volumes of letters from the Admiralty Board, 1796 to 1815. Eight volumes contain letters and orders relating to prisoners of war, 1796 to 1799 (class mark, ADM/MT); and nine volumes contain those concerning the care of sick and wounded seamen, 1807, 1808 to 1815 (ADM/ET); these two latter series are the continuation of correspondence previously conducted with the Sick and Hurt Board.
Public records: records of the central administration of the Royal Navy and the Merchant Navy