Fort flying union jack with a tower inscribed ' Macao Fort - Canton River. English advanced? post 1857'
|Description||This drawing came from an album of images of Canton made in 1857 and 1858 by Harry Edmund Edgell (1809-1876). Edgell entered the Royal Naval College in May 1821. On 13 August 1855, he became Captain of the Tribune and joined the second Opium War. This image shows the Macao Fort, situated about 10 miles from the anchorage of Whampoa, up a narrow and intricate channel. This was the last remaining fort protecting the approaches to the city of Canton and was a strong island position with 86 guns. On 4 January 1857, Macao Fort was attacked and occupied by the British.|