||Adzes or hatchets were usually made of hard black stone (a kind of Basaltes) likely from Otaheite. Otaheite was originally named Port Royal Harbour in King George the Third's Island by Captain Samuel Wallis (1728-1795). The first encounter between the Europeans and the islanders was on 15 January 1769.
’"The first figure, reckoning from the left hand, is an adze of the larger size; the second and third are different representations of the upper part of it, to shew the manner of tying the stone to the handle; the smaller figures are tattowing instsruments, to pierce thee skin, of different sizes, with and without their handles; the last is the instrument with which they are struck for that purpose.''
Mounted on page with PAI3966, and in album with PAI3938-PAI3964, PAI3966-PAI4076.; Page 25.; Typewritten title stuck above image.; Plate No.10. ''