A View of the Ancient Royal Palace called Placentia, in East Greenwich
Not on display
Vol II. Plate XXV. The manor of Greenwich passed to Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester and Regent of England, in 1427. He started building a palace near the river, to be named Bella Court, and enclosed the rectangular area of land which now comprises the Old Royal Naval College, the National Maritime Museum, and Greenwich Park. When he died in 1447 the manor reverted to the Crown, and Bella Court became the residence of Margaret of Anjou, the wife of Henry VI. It was renamed the Palace of Placentia, and was to become the principal Royal palace for the next two centuries.The palace was extensively rebuilt during the period, especially during the reign of Henry VII.