A relic of Sir John Franklin's last expedition 1845-48. The tin was found on Beechey Island by the Inglefield Search Expedition, 1852. Meat tin supplied by the contactor Stephen Goldner and made of tinned wrought iron sheets soldered together. There are traces of red paint remain on the exterior. The top has been cut off. Impressed on the base is 'GOLDNER . PATENT'. Painted on the side '(11) PRESERVED MEAT TINS FOUND AT BEECHEY ISLAND.' On a paper label stuck to the side of the tin 'Can found on Beechey Island'. Captain Inglefield stopped at the island on his way home to deliver mail to 'North Star'. He reached the island on 7 September and remained there twelve hours.