A relic of Sir John Franklin's last expedition 1845-48. A shot flask found in an abandoned boat at Erebus Bay, King William Island, in May 1859 by the McClintock Search Expedition 1857-59. An iron shot flask still containing shot, with two leather covers, the outer one roughly made. The maker was Bishop of Bond Street, London. The item is part of the equipment associated with the two shot guns found in the boat.
McClintock's party reached this site on the 30 May and discovered that Hobson had been there a few days before on 18 May. The boat was 28 foot long and mounted on a heavy sledge. McClintock found it just above high tide mark pointing back in the direction of the ships and containing a large quantity of abandoned personal possessions and two skeletons.