A battered draw tube of a marine telescope from the 1845 Northwest Passage Expedition led by Sir John Franklin. Each end has screw threads. One end has a ropework knot around it.
This draw tube may have been recovered by the US expedition under Lieutenant Frederick Schwatka between 1878-1880. It could be 'Item 27. Tube of marine glass from Irving Bay' in the 1881 catalogue of items that he sent back to Britain in 1881 [TNA, ADM 1/6600]. However, while this description may apply to AAA2330, the original deleted text for the catalogue said 'piece of speaking tool', which suggests a hollow tube like AAA2227.1.
Schwatka's expedition arrived at Irving Bay (their name for the bay just below Victory Point) on the north west coast of King William Island on 25 June 1879 where they discovered Lt. Irving's grave. Schwatka described the surrounding scene around the grave area but does not specifically mention anything about telescopes [Schwatka, page 82]. Gilder does record 'iron and brass implements' [Gilder, page 124]. This is the area known as 'Crozier's Camp' where the crews from Erebus and Terror landed after deserting the ships in April 1848.
The other option is that it was found in the possession of Inuit at the camp on Hayes River, between 15 and 17 February 1879, corresponding with the Naval Museum catalogue Case 3, No. 15.
The tube may have been displayed in the Royal Naval Museum, Greenwich, 'Case 3, No. 7. Tube of marine telescope.' It may have been in Display 14 at the Royal Naval Exhibition at Chelsea in 1891. As the identity is uncertain, it may also be Case 3. No. 15. Part of a telescope'.