The objective lens and alloy tube end of a two-foot marine telescope from the 1845 British Northwest Passage Expedition led by Sir John Franklin. The nickel alloy tube has the glass objective lens in one end and screw threads at the other. The whole is covered by a sliding sun shade.
The telescope tube was found by Captain McClintock's team on 2 June 1859 near the Ross Cairn, Point Victory, King William Island, as part of the search expedition led by him from the 'Fox'. They discovered, as did Lt. Hobson before them in May 1859, a pile of clothing four foot high and other abandoned material taken from the ships. McClintock recorded it as ''...the field glass and German silver top of a 2-foot telescope,...' [McClintock, 'Voyage of the Fox' (1860), p.368]. The item is shown in - 'Stereoscopic slides of the relics of Sir John Franklin's Expedition' photographed by Lieutenant Cheyne RN, at the United Services Museum, Whitehall, No. 1.