A replica of the reflecting telescope made by Sir Isaac Newton in 1671and presented to the Royal Society in 1672. The original still remains at the Royal Society. The replica was made for presentation to John D. Pope on retirement from long service as the Telescope Engineer and as the Chief Design Engineer for the 4.2 metre William Herschel Telescope at the Royal Greenwich Observatory in Herstmonceux. It was made in 1984 in the RGO's workshop, from photographs and accurate drawings made in 1967 when the original telescope was sent by Securicor to the workshop in order to make two earlier replicas. One of these was made for the Queen on the occasion of her inauguration of the 98-inch Isaac Newton telescope in 1967, and the other was presented to the European Northern Observatory on La Palma, where is was placed in a glass case in the building housing the Isaac Newton Telescope.
There is a brass plaque on the top of the base of the telescope with the words: "Presented to John D Pope on the occasion of his retirement from the Royal Greenwich Observatory April 1984. A brass plaque on the side of the base reads: "Replica of Isaac Newton's telescope 1671".
As with the original, this is a Newtonian relfecting telescope, using a concave primary mirror and a flat diagonal secondary mirror, with the eyepiece on the upper side and a focal length of 6 inches. It can be focused by changing the distance between the two mirrors with a metal screw on the exterior of the telescope. It is mounted on a wooden ball within a cup, which can be freely moved to any angle. It is kept in place by two, shaped metal retainers.